Anti-money laundering and terrorist financing
The Directorate for Combating Money Laundering and the Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT Directorate ) is a department of the Ministry of Justice.
It represents Luxembourg during meetings of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) and participates in the FATF's work to develop international standards on combating money laundering and the financing of terrorism and proliferation. It leads and coordinates the preparatory work for the mutual evaluation of Luxembourg in the framework of the 4th round of FATF mutual evaluations.
At the European Union level, it participates in various working groups.
At the national level, it ensures the national coordination of the fight against money laundering and terrorist financing. It acts as the Executive Secretariat of the Committee for the prevention of money laundering and terrorist financing and of the Inter-ministerial Steering Committee for the fight against money laundering and terrorist financing. It leads and coordinates the work of updating the national AML/CFT risk assessment and conducts so-called "vertical" risk assessments on specific topics.
It should be noted that the fight against money laundering and terrorist financing is a cross-cutting issue, which also involves other ministries, supervisors, the financial intelligence unit and law enforcement authorities, as well as certain professional organisations and associations.
The AML/CFT Directorate contributes to the legislative texts concerning the fight against money laundering and terrorist financing and to the transposition of the relevant directives. In particular, it participates in the negotiation of regulations and directives forming the "anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing package" proposed by the Commission.
- MinJus_Vertical risk assessment on terrorist financing 2022 (VRA TF 2022)
- MinJus_ ML/TF vertical risk assessment on legal persons and legal arrangements 2022 (VRA LP LA)
- MinJus_ML/TF vertical risk assessment on virtual asset service providers 2020 (VRA VASP)
- CSSF_ML/TF sub-sector Risk Assessment – Collective investments 2022 (EN version)
- CSSF_ML/TF sub-sector risk assessment - Trust and company services provider activities 2020 (EN version)
- CSSF_ML/TF risk analysis – private banking 2019 (EN version)
Guidelines and best practices
- MinJus_non financial sector TCSP guidelines 2022 (EN version)
- MinJus_non financial sector TCSP guidelines 2022 (FR version)
- MinJus_Sensibilisation ASBL et fondations aux risques de FT (FR version)
- MinJus_Bonnes pratiques des ASBL et fondations – transparence et conformité (FR version)
- Report on the assessment of ML/TF risks affecting the internal market and relating to cross-border activities (EN and FR versions)
- Press release_beating financial crime: Commission reforms AML/CFT rules (FR version)(EN version)
- FATF Recommendations (FR version)(EN version)
- Methodology for assessing technical compliance with the FATF Recommendations and the effectiveness of AML/CFT systems (FR version)(EN version)
- Procedures for the FATF Fourth Round of AML/CFT Mutual evaluations (FR version)(EN version)
- FATF report_ Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing in the Art and Antiquities Market 2023 (EN version)
- FATF report_ML from Fentanyl and Synthetic Opioids (EN and FR versions)
- FATF report_ML/TF Risks Arising from Migrant Smuggling_2022 (EN and FR versions)
- FATF report_ML from Environmental crime 2021 (EN and FR versions)
- FATF report_Ethnically or Radically Motivated TF 2021 (EN versions)
- FATF report_Trade-Based ML: Risk Indicators 2021 (EN version)
- FATF report_update: COVID-19 related ML/TF Risks 2020 (EN version)
- FATF/EGMONT report_Trade-based ML : trends and developments 2020 (EN and FR versions)
- FATF report_ ML and the Illegal Wildlife trade (EN and FR versions)
- FATF report_Covid-19 related ML/TF Risks and Policy Responses 2020 (EN and FR versions)
- FATF report_Best Practices on Beneficial Ownership for Legal Persons 2019 (EN version)
- FATF report_Financial Flows from Human Trafficking 2018 (EN version)
- FATF report_Professional ML 2018 (EN version)
- FATF report_Concealment of Beneficial Ownership 2018 (EN version)
- FATF report_Financing of Recruitment for Terrorist Purposes 2018 (EN version)
- FATF guidance_Risk-based Approach Guidance for the Real Estate Sector 2022 (EN version)
- FATF guidance_Virtual Assets Red Flag Indicators of ML/TF 2020 (EN version)
- FATF guidance_ Risk based approach for TCSP 2019 (EN and FR versions)
- FATF guidance_TF Risk Assessment Guidance 2018 (EN version)
- FATF guidance_National ML/TF Risk Assessment 2013 (EN version)